Tuesday, July 1, 2014

"Beaucoup de failure" (but not personally)

So today was our first day of classes. It was nice to meet my teachers and my classmates. Since we are all at the same level, the students at least, we are able to communicate with the same problems. It wasn't like a normal class but I am hoping that when we do get into it it will be fun. I'm taking a supplementary literature course (and it is a relief that I just found out I can't spell that word in either language). I found it boring and difficult today, my friend and I passed notes about how confused we were, but I guess it is good that I am finally meeting a real challenge.
Dinner was once again an experience. I wouldn't stop eating, I think I ate half a family sized pasta dish. The dog kept getting at things that required us to chase her down. The four of us girls had fun though and we left the house together tonight and taught each other insults in our native tongues.
We wanted to see the game tonight so we went to the Guinguette (a popular hang-out for younger people, that is always crowded. Right on the bank of the Loire) but it was crowded and full of smoke and loud and Paige and I hadn't contacted the others yet. We went in search of a pub when we met another American we recognized who recommended an area for us. We finally met up with the boys and went to this area right by the school, where I bought lunch actually. We were looking for a bar but we first found an ice cream stand with a tv set up next to it playing the game. Then some people wanted drinks so we went to a bar where there was a large area where we could all sit and watch the game. We had met an American who also wanted to see the game and then at the bar a French man who became our new friend. He was originally routing for Belgium but we got him to change his mind, another person too later. We stayed for the entire game (which ended after midnight our time) and we were very upset in the end. (The title of this post refers to the Franglais sadness of one of my Mount classmates) I'm lucky that Paige and I have a late beginning tomorrow.

 
The area during the day, it seems like something out of a novel

 
Ice cream! Gelato really, I got apple and cookies and while both were good the apple was clearly better. I can't wait to go back. 

 
Us at the bar we found watching the game with our new American and new French friends. (Photo credit to Paige's phone and the bartender who took the photo)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment