Monday, July 28, 2014

I've got somewhere I belong I've got somebody to love This is what dreams are made of

So if you know Lizzie McGuire you know this song. I've actually been thinking about the movie a lot recently. For example it is my first week in Rome and I'm not feeling so well. And unlike Lizzie I'm not faking. My brother came over with a cough and I think he gave it to me. On top of that I got eaten alive at dinner tonight. And on top of that it is really hot here and I do not do well in the heat. 

We went to the Vatican today and it was absolutely amazing! I loved getting to see everything, the Sistine Chapel, the museum, the Basilica. I think the Basilica was my favourite, I could have spent more time there, especially learning more about the statues. We had a private tour going through the Vatican and it was well worth the money. We were the first people in this morning and we didn't have to do lines for anything. As the day went on the crowds grew. There was what looked to be a five hour line for going into the Basilica. 
I loved how there was a dress code at the Vatican, I wish we had something like that in America. Maybe not the same but still, no unreasonable clothing for entering a place of worship. There were a few people who had to have snuck past the guards though. I really did enjoy the Vatican but I didn't have the best start of the day so I was a little grumpy going through. Some time with The Blessed Sacrament really helped though.

I think it is so amazing that since the time of Jesus, Christians have inhabited this area. Peter lived here! They suffered so much and yet the faith survives all around the globe two thousand years later. It makes me think of and respect the Christians being persecuted right now in the Middle East. They are literally being killed for their religion and they find time to worship God where in the West we work Him around our own schedules. I didn't realize that St. John Paul II was right there in the Basilica. I was so excited to know that. Darling ex-roommate I don't know if you're reading this but I certainly was thinking of you. I went through with the old song I learned going through my head: John Paul II we love you we support all that you do while at work or rest or play we will pray for you each day. There's more to it but that was the part about JPII. 

I know the tone of this post is a little off, sorry about that. I have no idea what's on the plan for tomorrow. I'm hoping it involves being carried around Rome by a hot Catholic Italian guy, probably not but a girl can dream. Speaking of dream, good night! Or as Google informs me they say here: buona notte! 

No comments:

Post a Comment