Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Caesarodunum

I think I'm gonna like Wednesdays. I only have an hour of class an the excursions in the afternoon, plus the local flea market is out and about. I went to Carrefour for lunch today, it was interesting to see a French grocery store. I can't wait to go back and try all sorts of different foods. Today I tried French gummy bears. They are not bad but they have a weird aftertaste I can't quite explain. They aren't as sugary either. Our excursion (for Mount student only) was to a museum today. It was on the history of Tours. I have to say I don't think I've ever seen a museum quite like it. The VCR they used to introduce the town seemed like it belonged in a museum itself along with the various slide machines around the exhibits. It seemed like a video Mr. Koza would play (if there are any OLPHers following me that get the reference). While the museum was old and the exhibit small it made up for the fact with interesting stuff.
 
Man from a local cemetery above religious carvings from the 12th (give or take) century.  

 
I think this is a representation of the living situations of the Celtic native people who embraced Roman living traditions.  

 
One view of the original Roman wall around the city.

 
Another view of the wall which is made up of some sort of sea life stone that is easy to carve. 

 
I just like the sign.

 
I can't remember if this is actually the Roman arena where the gladiators fought but this is still original Roman wall which dates back to the beginning of the millennium. 
I don't recall if the wall itself was before or after Jesus but the Roman presence was certainly there before the birth of Jesus. It is so strange to be in a place that has been settled since before Jesus. He could have come here on vacation if that was a thing. The title of this post refers to an original name of this place - it means Caesar's hill. It's not exactly a hilly area though. It was interesting to see how the town grew mostly around the dozens of churches that are or were around here. World War II had some devastating effects on Tours.
 
I'm tired so I'm gonna leave you with the selfie our teacher had us take. (Photo credit goes of course to my professor.)

No comments:

Post a Comment